All About Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT): Procedure and Ideal Candidate for Treatment
A huge proportion of people are affected by hair loss due to their sedentary lifestyle. With the advancement of technology in the healthcare sector, now people need not worry about their hair loss or bald spots. Different types of hair transplantation treatments are available for people to help cover their bald spots caused due hair loss. One such treatment is Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT) which works best at covering a receding hairline. This article explains the entire procedure and who is an ideal candidate for the FUT hair transplant Dallas, Texas treatment.
The Procedure of FUT
Here given is the procedure for a FUT hair transplant Dallas, Texas:
- The surgeon will re-draw the hairline of the patient, mark the area from where hair follicles will be extracted, and take photographs of his medical record. In addition, the healthcare professional asks the patient whether he will take a sedative before surgery. If yes, then local anesthesia will be applied to his scalp to numb it.
- The hair in the donor area (the body part from the hair is removed) will be trimmed to about two millimeters.
- The strip of skin with the hair follicles to be used as a graft is cut by the surgeon.
- Next, a technician removes individual hair follicles from the strip of the skin and prepares them for transplantation.
- The scalp is further closed by the surgeon with sutures.
- The hair follicles are then inserted by the healthcare professional into the balding parts of the patient’s scalp in a pattern that seems natural.
- In last, an antibiotic and bandages are applied to the patient’s scalp.
The FUT surgery can take around 4 to 8 hours and people can see results from the treatment in about 6 to 9 months.
Who is an Ideal Candidate for FUT Surgery?
The following mentioned conditions make an individual the ideal candidate for FUT hair transplant Dallas, Texas treatment:
- Age: FUT is usually performed by surgeons on people aged more than 25 years. It is difficult to predict hair loss patterns in young people.
- Diagnosis: Men with the Norwood pattern of hair loss are reported to respond more positively to hair transplantation.
- Hair thickness: People with a high hair follicle density are known to receive better coverage.
- Area of balding: FUT provides the best result when it is performed to treat hair loss at the front of the patient’s head.
- Hair color: People having the same hair color and skin color are considered the better candidates as they have less color contrast.
Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT) surgery is a method wherein a surgeon extracts hair follicles from the back of the patient’s scalp and transplants them to the bald spots. When done by a professional and trained surgeon, the surgery turns out to be safe and creates a natural-looking result. Furthermore, when thinking about the cost of FUT hair transplant surgery, is determined by several factors such as the amount of hair being transplanted, location, the surgeon, and travel costs.